I don't know what's more adult than dealing with the neighborhood kids (ok, I can actually think of like 12 more adult things off the top of my head, but let's go with it). I live in a family neighborhood and I do enjoy it. The kids next door to me are pretty respectful and well behaved when it comes to kids.
But they LOVE pup. And who can blame them really, with a mom like me, what's not to love. However, I can't even go into my backyard without fear of blitz attack from a 3' army ready to knock me down to get to the prize, and then run around like Viking hooligans shouting in pure glee.
This afternoon, I was in the house icing after a run (yeah, I'm such an athlete that I ice after a work out. I'm impressed too) and I went to check on pup just in time to see the littles breaking into my fenced in yard to chase pup around the yard.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate kids. I have a niece that I absolutely adore and I never glare at the mothers of crying children in Barnes and Noble.
But this kind of behavior could be dangerous. If anything were to happen to them in my backyard with my pup I would be responsible. And if you've learned anything through the course of this blog, I don't do well with responsibility.
I don't want to be the cranky spinster neighbor (cause right now the cranky is the only thing that is keeping me from being classified as a cranky spinster) but I need to set some ground rules. I nicely told them to come to the front door and ask me first if they want to play with pup, but then I made them go back home because they were fueling the animalistic behavior that me and obedience school are trying to stamp out.
Yeah, it looks like I'll be getting the good candy this Halloween to make up for my buzz-kill ways... and rumor has it that this far north of the tree line kids don't trick or treat anyways for fear of hypothermia, so I'll actually get to eat all the candy! That's a win-win (except for the neighborhood kids, they're not really winning at all in that situation).

No comments:
Post a Comment