Friday, September 23, 2011

Wreath Making Is Not Just For Grandmas.

So it's Friday, and for people like me who have no friends graciously gave up her social life to care for a needy animal, that means sitting at home and working on crafts while drinking wine and watching horrible movies ("Beneath the Blue" anyone?). 
It also means I can finally post on my first completed project since I've have moved in, which I know you all are dying to read about. It involves a wreath and my initials, so hold onto your seats. 
I should mention that none of these crafts are of my own creation. If I come up with an idea myself, you will know it because I will shamelessly praise my own genius (I once asked my sister how to spell genius, FYI). We're all lucky if I can successfully follow directions, let alone write them. 
So this great idea came from Design Sponge. I'm not sure if I am appropriately giving credit where credit is due. And because I'd deserve a JD if I successfully read and understood the Terms Agreement, I expect all of you to pitch in for bail if I get carted away for craft fraud. 

Anyways, the directions are pretty simple to follow so I'm not even going to attempt to recreate them. Instead I will post pictures and talk about my downfalls. 
The vine comes in a circular shape so I'd suggest having some kind of idea to straighten it out (unless your desired initial is an O, in which case you get to skip the extra thinking). I decided to duct tape it to my deck rail, but I came up with the idea after I'd already finished the wreath, so my left over vine is currently duct taped to my deck and the original project had to endure my brute strength. 

Rather than greenery type things, I used fake moss and some sparkly leafy things (just go to your favorite craft store and pick out whatever you think would look nice adorned on vine in the shape of your favorite letter. 
Now before you ask, my name also happens to being with a K, so I intentionally copied the directions exactly. 
I also finished the project with some hairspray. Thinking back, I'm not entirely sure of the rationale, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. And as a former dancer, it seems obvious that if I want something to stay in place I hairspray it until it drowns.





















I chose to hang the finished product in my bedroom. It looks pretty anticlimactic in the photos but I am proud of it nonetheless. And the pup is on a mission to ingest all of the stray moss until he vomits green sparkles. 

So move over Martha Stewart, because I have a homemade K wreath adorning my wall. 

*I'm not feeling super stoked about this post because I had a long day at school and I'm not feeling entirely witty. If I get a burst of inspiration, I'll redo this, so it might be worth checking back (as if any of you are actually reading this anyways. Hi mom, thanks for sticking with me through the whole post!)

Because this was such a masterpiece, you'll be pleased to know that I have a couple more crafts that I'm working on and will post soon. I spent my month's mortgage at Micheal's last weekend so I've got some things in the works. 

In other news, my slipcover came in the mail that is going to turn my hand-me-down couch into a Pottery Barn vision. However, because Pottery Barn writes their operating instructions for rocket scientists and people who can put together Ikea furniture, a lesser person such as myself is going to do the only adult things I know, and wait for my mom to visit so she can do it for me. 

Well, thanks for reading. We all have our off days. 
K

No comments:

Post a Comment